This is the book section of Akira 2019
Akira Club Book
From Dark Horse Site - "Katsuhiro Otomo's epic manga, Akira, is considered by many to be the finest work of graphic fiction ever created, a work of astonishing power and visionary scope, and possessing a level of illustration skill unmatched in the annals of the medium. Now available for the first time in an English-language edition, Akira Club is an essential companion to Akira, a dazzling collection of Otomo's mind-blowing visions, including over one hundred title-page illustrations created for the original serialization but not included with the published collections of Akira. The book also features rarely seen alternate art, preliminary drawings, production sketches, and a variety of Akira posters, advertisements, and products, all accompanied by fascinating commentary by the artist himself. No Akira enthusiast, manga fan, or devotee of fantasy and science-fiction illustration should be without Akira Club."
The original Japanese Akira Club Book was published by Kodansha in 1995. 3500 yen (ISBN-10: 4-06330-003-X). I believe it is now out of print. It was released in English in 2007 and should be readily available.
- Publisher: Dark Horse (US) - Titan Books (UK) - Kodansha (Japan)
- Pub. Date: Aug 29, 2007 (US) - July 2007 (UK) - 1995 (Japan)
- ISBN: 1-59307-741-6 (US) - 4-06330-003-X (Japan)
- ISBN-13: 978-1-59307-741-9 (US) - 978-1-84576-612-2 (UK)
- Format: Full Colour, Hardcover
- Pages: 256
- Size: 260mm x 210mm
Akira Mechanix 2019: Cyber Art and Mechanism from Moving Picture “Akira”
Divided into 20 chapters, segments include:
- Photographs and vignettes used for promotion/merchandise;
- Character pages and technical model sheets of vehicles/weapons in the film;
- Illustrations/paintings by other Japanese creatives, inspired by AKIRA;
- Info on Kaneda’s Bike- mechanics, inspiration, plans, working models etc;
- Creating the Neo tokyo environment;
- Staff feedback regarding their roles in the film and their inspiration for creating Neo-Tokyo.
- Publisher: Bandai Japan
- Pub. Date: 1988
- Format: Full Colour
- Size: 8.2" X 11.5"
- ISBN-13: 978-4-89189-348-4
- Publisher: Dark Horse
- Publication Date: Jun 26, 2002
- Format: Six 13 1/2" x 10 3/8" color prints in folder
- Price: $19.95
- ISBN-10: 1-59617-062-X
- ISBN-13: 978-1-59617-062-9
From Dark Horse - "Dark Horse is proud to continue our series of portfolios, collecting the all-time greatest artworks from the fascinating world of Japanese manga. This set of full-color pictures, each text free and suitable for framing, is of classic illustrations by the incomparable Katsuhiro Otomo. This portfolio contains six 13 1/2" x 10 3/8" color prints in folder. The back of the folder pictures all the interior images, so they can be viewed in the store without having to open the package."
Information coming soon.
The Art of Akira: Volume 1
- 1989 Comic / Cel Art Catalogue
- Arpad Publishing
- 48 pages
- Black and White
The Continuity of Akira 1 & 2
Information coming soon.
Akira World: Young Magazine Special Edition
About 21 x 29 cm in size
146 Pages, 111 in color